Southwest Harbor is located on the QUIETSIDE of Mount Desert Island. This slower-paced seafaring village, with unspoiled nature and abundant wildlife, is an easy distance from much busier Bar Harbor. It is home to Somes Sound, one of only three fjords in this country. This inlet, formed by glaciers ripping through steep, surrounding mountains, many thousands of years ago, is a vision of beauty and tranquility. Mountainous trails provide panoramic views of Maines beautiful rocky coast and ocean. Boat builders on this vibrant coastal town have built some of the worlds most spectacular sailboats and yachts.
- Location filming for Stephen Kings 1999 television mini-series, STORM OF THE CENTURY took place in SW Harbor.
- Southwest Harbor offers many outdoor activities including hiking, biking, kayaking, deep sea fishing, world class sailing, or walking history tours in Summer, and cross-country skiing in Winter.
- The Oktoberfest is an annual Fall celebration featuring wine, brew, music, and food. In addition to its unique shops.
- Southwest Harbor is home to renowned museums and galleries, including the Gilley Museum of Bird Carving, featuring the exceptional works of world famous Wendell Gilley.
- Casual, fine dining and lodging are offered in Southwest Harbors romantic and historic Bed and Breakfasts, and inns.
- Motels, cottages and campgrounds also offer accommodations on the QUIETSIDE of this Maine island.